As we sit with water restrictions in the middle of a drought, we all need some creative ways to cool off!
Try some of these ideas:
Instead of using your sprinkler or large pool, try a kiddie pool. You can also fill a kiddie pool with all sorts of fun things like:
- ICE (keeps the pool cool longer and adds play factor)
- Toys (some that float and sink for an on-hands science experiment))
- Flowers, Grass & Mud (you or your kids can become part of a giant mud pie!)
- Bubble Bath (seriously, who doesn’t love bubbles?)
- Colored Oil (play as you watch water stay separated from oil)
- Slip-N-Slide: freeze or refrigerate shaving cream, add to tarp or slip-n-slide for tons of bathing suit fun!
- Mix paint and shaving cream in an ice cube tray. You can play by painting the sidewalks.
- Put a bin of shaving cream in the freezer. Take it out, kids can drive trucks or ride horses in it while cooling off.
- Fill a regular balloon with a toy or two, add water (and color, if you want), then freeze. Cut off balloon parts.
- OR, fill a bin with toys and water, then freeze. Dump out of bin.
- Kids can use tools to carefully excavate toys.
3 more tips
- Avoid the oven (use other tools- like a slowcooker- whenever possible)
- Cold pudding: doubles as edible finger paint
- Try Ice Blocking!